Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Blessed are those who have not seen...


There are certain things we like about various saints.  A lot of people can likely identify with St. Thomas the Apostle, or as some may like to refer to him, the "Doubting Thomas." 

Undoubtably there are a lot of us that find "seeing is believing."  We need/want to satisfy our curiosity and to have our senses verify the reality.

We have Thomas' words as recorded in the Gospel of St. John that show what he needed in order to believe that Jesus risen from the dead:  Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.  A pretty tall order, to say the least.

A few verses later, we hear Jesus' words to Thomas:  Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe...  Have you come to believe because you have seen me?  Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.  

This last line is about us.  We weren't present 2000 years ago when Jesus walked on the face of the earth, yet we do believe in Him, love Him, and develop a relationship with Him.

How is Jesus inviting you today to develop a deeper relationship with Him today?

No comments:

Post a Comment