Friday, September 16, 2011

Care Nunning


Caring for each other goes beyond the bonds of friendship, it's learning to be compassionate (to suffer with) one another as we strive to grow daily in our relationship with God and with each other.  In times of illness or limitations experienced because of age or declining health, this caring takes on a more physical expression.  And it brings amazing growth both to the one helped as well as the one helping -- as long as one is open to the grace. 

I remember a time first as a postulant and then as a novice when I helped one of our Sisters as she began facing the reality of declining health.  She was 92, nearly blind and only came up to my shoulder, yet she showed me the example of a giant.  How?  Her humility which I don't know if I'll ever be able to imitate.  Here I was, the youngest member of the community and yet she would say to me, "whatever you think is best...  I promised obedience." 

Yes, caring for another person's needs can be demanding, but it's also a gift.  A gift that is given as well as received.

No comments:

Post a Comment