Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Words...


The other day in reading the opening verse of the First Letter of St. John, I was struck at the similarity between it and the opening verse of John's Gospel.  What struck me particularly was the word, "Word."  John was referring to Jesus, but I began to ask myself what do I/we do with words?

We can do much good, or much evil.  We can praise, pray, greet, encourage, upbuild, share information, offer assistance -- well, you get the idea.  On the other hand, we can complain, grumble, tear down, offend, hurt, distort -- and the list goes on and on.

I remember a priest once saying to me, "We don't want to react, but rather to act freely in love."  Isn't that what we do when we speak the kind word instead of sending a zinger back at someone who has annoyed us? 

May the fruit of this thought from my lectio bear fruit for you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment