Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Seven Last Words of Jesus - Part VII

Seventh Word

Father, into your hands
I commend my spirit.

Like Christ, some day I will need to say these words.  Death is the envitable part of every life.  I cannot remember the source, however the saying sticks in my mind, "We are all born to die." 

Yet, we are called to die each day -- to our sinfulness, to our pride, to all those things that separate us from union with God.  Each "death" is a handing over of ourselves to a loving and merciful God.  And yes, each death can be scary.  It's entering into the unknown.  Yet, we have a wonderful example in Jesus.  We can try to mirror his love when we die to ourselves and our sinfulness.

Lord Jesus, help us to learn how to die to our sinful tendencies so that we can live a new life in union with You always.

No comments:

Post a Comment