Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Prayer for Fulfilling the Will of God


O most merciful Jesus,
grant me Your grace,
that it may remain with me always
and persevere with me to the end.
Grant me always to will and desire
what is most pleasing
and acceptable to You.

Let Your will be mine,
and let my will always follow Yours
in perfect conformity with it.
Let my will and desires
always be one with Yours;
and let me be unable to will or not will except
as You will or do not will.

Grant that I may die to all worldly things,
and that I may be despised and unknown
for love of You.
Grant, above all things to be desired
that I may find rest in You,
and that in Your heart alone may be my peace.
You, O Lord,
give true peace to the heart
and perfect rest to body and soul.

Apart from You,
all is difficult and never still.
In that peace,
in You Who are the one,
supreme and eternal Good,
I will sleep and take my rest (Ps. 4:9)
Amen.

from The Imitation of Christ
by Thomas A Kempis
Book 3, Chapter 15

No comments:

Post a Comment