Saturday, February 12, 2011

Playing the "Blame Game"

The man replied, “The woman whom you put here with me,
she gave me fruit from the tree, and so I ate it.”
The LORD God then asked the woman,
“Why did you do such a thing?”
The woman answered, “The serpent tricked me into it, so I ate it.”
Today's first reading at Mass is one familiar to all.  Adam blames Eve, Eve blames the serpent.  They were playing the "Blame Game" as Father Chad, our chaplain, put it in today's homily.  Yet, don't we all do that from time to time.  Unfortunately, I know I do.

After Mass, Mother Mary Anne told another somewhat similar story.  "A monk was being reproved by his abbot for something he had done wrong.  The monk replied to his abbot, "It's not my fault, the devil made me do it."  A poof of smoke arose and the devil appeared who said, "No, I didn't!  It was your own idea!"

Definitely something to ponder today.  It goes back to Adam and Eve, yet even today we don't like to own up to our mistakes and shortcomings. 

Lord, give us greater vision so that in humility, we can admit when we've done wrong, seek your forgiveness, and amend our lives for the future.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment