Thursday, April 12, 2012

Touch me and see...



"Why are you troubled?
And why do questions arise in your hearts?
Look at my hands and my feet, that it is I myself.
Touch me and see, because a ghost does not have flesh and bones
as you can see I have."
(from Luke 24:35-48)


We fortunately know all the story, but the Apostles were learning it, experiencing it.  Troubled?  Undoubtedly.  They saw him crucified.  They saw his lifeless body taken down from the cross and buried.  They knew the pain in their hearts as they mourned his death. 

Questions arising?  That too.  There was no where in recorded history that anyone had risen from the dead.  They may have known all the scriptures that predicted that the Messiah would die and rise, but they didn't know how to break them apart to understand their meaning.

Touch me and see.  Jesus knew that he needed to help them to move past their fears.  Touching him.  Seeing him.  Experiencing him.  All these helped to shore up their faith and move them forward into a new life. 

When questions and doubts arise in our hearts and minds, Lord, help us to take courage and trust in You and your great love and mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment