Monday, May 28, 2012

My Country 'Tis of Thee

Today we remember the numerous men and women who have given their life in defense of our country and the freedom that we enjoy.  Regardless of whether or not we personally feel we should be engaged in conflicts around the globe, the men and women of our armed forces but themselves in harm's way to preserve our freedoms and to fight for the lives, dignity and freedoms for other as well.  Let us remember them in grateful prayer...

 
My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of Liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrim's pride!
From ev'ry mountain side,
Let freedom ring!

My native country thee,
Land of the noble free,
Thy name I love.
I love thy rocks and rills,
Thy woods and templed hills;
My heart with rapture thrills,
Like that above.

Let music swell the breeze,
And ring from all the trees,
Sweet freedom's song.
Let mortal tongues awake;
Let all that breathe partake;
Let rocks their silence break,
the sound prolong.

Our fathers' God, to Thee,
Author of Liberty,
To Thee we sing.
Long may our land be bright,
With freedom's holy light;
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God, our King! 

by Samuel Francis Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment