Saturday, July 7, 2012

“Holy Loafing”


Lectio divina is more about experiencing God than thinking about him, and about being washed by the word of God rather than reflecting on it.  Its literature is not new writings to generate thinking, but the old and familiar that favor mulling, which is why the Bible (a “sacred reading” in itself) is the favored text.  In contemporary usage, lectio often integrates old and new methods of “reading” in a practice of “holy loafing” with the Bible, using the textual apparatus and technical assistance now available.  Lectio divina is not complete until it ends in prayer, and at its highest level is contemplative silence in the presence of God.

by Jerome Kodell, OSB
From Life Lessons from the Monastery

2 comments:

  1. I am taking a course for a Ministry Certificate. (I am a Nazarene) Just last night, I got to learn what lectio divina meant. I've always wondered what it was, because I see that you do this at 7 every morning. Today I found this nunning about it. I'm so glad Sr. Renate directed me to the nunning. I love it. Thank you for your time and heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our time of lectio divina is after our Holy Mass at 7:00 a.m.

      Delete