Friday, June 10, 2011

Novena to the Holy Spirit, Day 9


Come, Holy Spirit,
and grant me the gift of longsuffering,
so that I may have extraordinary patience
under provocation or trial,
as well as forbearance so that I may exercise restraint
in expressing my feelings or in demanding punishment or my due.
May I be toleratant, moved by love and the desire for peace,
when something painful deserves to be rejected or opposed.
Give me a spirit of mildness
so that I may be gentle in disposition and behavior.
Perfect my love so that I may temper justice
by avoiding any unnecessary action
that might provoke anger or resentment.
Strengthen my faith,
so that I may truly believe in God
and believe all that He has said and revealed
so that I may commit myself entirely to God
and to know his will.
Grant me the virtue of modesty
in all my internal and external movements and appearances.
May I exercise humility so that it curbs
any inordinate desire I may have for personal excellence
and incline me to recognize my own worth in its true light.
May I exercise studiousness so as to moderate
my desire and pursuit of truth
in accordance with faith and right reason.
May I have the spirit of continence
so that I may control the unruly movements of sexual desire
or other bodily emotions.
And finally, grant me the virtue of chastity,
so that I may moderate my desire for sexual pleasure
according to the principles of faith and right reason,
and exercise restraint and an avoidance
of anything that might defile or make my soul unclean.

Come, Holy Spirit
Come!

No comments:

Post a Comment