Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Thoughts from St. Thomas More


"If I am distracted, Holy Communion helps me to become recollected.  If opportunities are offered by each day to offend my God, I arm myself anew each day for the combat by the reception of the Eucharist.  If I am in special need of light and prudence in order to discharge my burdensome duties, I draw nigh to my Saviour and seek counsel and light from him." "What does it avail to know that there is a God, which you not only believe by Faith, but also know by reason:  what does it avail that you know Him if you think little of Him?"


"Nothing can come except what God wills.  And I make me very sure that whatsoever that be, even if nothing has ever appeared so bad, it shall indeed be the best...  I never intend, God being my good Lord, to pin my soul to another man's back, not even the best man that I know this day living; for I know not where he may hap to carry it."

"I die the king's good servant, and God's first."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment