Friday, June 8, 2012

Novena to the Sacred Heart, Day 3

An Undivided Heart


Jesus, in your undivided heart,
You show us that it is impossible to serve two masters,
it is only in single-hearted devotion that we are able to bear fruit.
In Your devotion to the Father
You model what it means to not waver, or second guess.
You were happily committed and thoroughly faithful.
You carefully guarded your heart
and never allowed anything to take the Father's place.
Your love for the Father was mirrored in what You taught and modeled:
You loved Him with your whole heart,
your whole soul and with all your strength
and your neighbor as self,
for if I cannot love my neighbor who I see,
how can I love God who I cannot see?
May I be mindful of my struggles with the sin of idolarty
-- of putting wealth, position, power, prestige and possessions
 ahead of my love for You.
May my love be pure and single-hearted,
reaching out to my brothers and sisters
so that as my love for You grows,
so will my love for them grow as well.
Help us to love truly, profoundly, intensely.
Help me to let God alone reign supreme in my heart.

 
O Sacred Heart of Jesus,
undivided of of heart,
make my heart like unto Yours.

Some scripture texts for further prayer and meditation:
Matthew 22:37
Luke 14:26
Luke 16:13
2 Cor 1:19

No comments:

Post a Comment