Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Novena to the Sacred Heart, Day 8

A Patient Heart


Jesus,
the lack of faith you encountered at various times
surely exasperated You, yet You modeled a heroic patience.
Patient, kind, not boastful, not arrogant, not rude --
all these and so much more describe Your forbearance.
Your own disciples gave you cause to need much patience:
slow to understand, resisting God's grace,
lessons unlearned, worldly standards,
pettiness, jealousy and betrayal.
Yet in all this You accept human weakness and flaws,
and respond with tenderness and compassion.
Lord, how often I fail You in matters great and small,
You could easily throw in the towel
and begin again with someone more "qualified."
Yet You chose me, a broken vessel,
to show others what patience means.
Thank you for Your example of
patience and forbearance
and for bearing with my defects, limitations, and failings.
May I learn from Your example,
and may Your grace shine through me.
Most of all, Lord,
thank you for being patient with me.
May I ever more and more mirror that patience
to those whom I meet.

Sacred Heart of Jesus,
whose heart is filled with Patience,
make my heart like unto Yours.

Some scripture texts for further prayer and meditation:
Matthew 14:31, 16:4, 17:17
Luke 24:13-35
John 20:25, 27
1 Corinthians 13:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment